Thursday 17 March 2011

Lent Day Eight ~ St Patrick


Today the church in these islands celebrates a native son and missionary. Patrick was a man of faith who, because love compelled him, shared that faith with the people of Ireland. His words were cherished and handed on to new generations and these words have inspired poets and painters, story tellers and musicians. His most famous work is his ‘Breastplate’ a prayer of trust in God and of wonder at God’s creation. The Irish songwriter, Shaun Davey has beautifully arranged these words into his piece, The Deer’s Cry. May these words guide our reflection this Lenten day.

The Deer's Cry
I arise today
Through the strength of heaven
Light of sun
Radiance of moon
Splendour of fire
Speed of lightning
Swiftness of wind
Depth of the sea
Stability of earth
Firmness of rock
I arise today
Through God's strength to pilot me
God's eye to look before me
God's wisdom to guide me
God's way to lie before me
God's shield to protect me
From all who shall wish me ill Afar and anear
Alone and in a multitude
Against every cruel merciless power
That may oppose my body and soul.
Christ with me,
Christ before me,
Christ behind me,
Christ in me.
Christ beneath me,
Christ above me,
Christ on my right,
Christ on my left,
Christ when I lie down,
Christ when I sit down,
Christ when I arise,
Christ to shield me.
Christ in the heart of everyone who thinks of me,
Christ in the mouth of everyone who speaks of me.
I arise today.


No comments:

Post a Comment