Tuesday 22 March 2011

Lent Day Twelve

Daniel Patrick O'Reilly: What Love Really Means.

Today’s scripture readings seem to speak of sin, confession and forgiveness.  The Lord speaks through Isaiah to the people of Sodom and Gomorrah (two pretty sinful places) telling them, Wash yourselves clean!  Though your sins be like scarlet, they may become white as snow; Though they be crimson red, they may become white as wool.  The psalmist proclaims, To the upright I will show the saving power of God.  And in Matthew, Jesus tells the people, do not follow the example of the scribes and the Pharisees who do not practice what they preach. 
There’s a beautiful song out right now called What Love Really Means by J J Heller.  It tells the poignant, heart rending story of three broken people crying out to God.  Each pleads in the refrain; Who will love me for me?  Not for what I have done or what I’ll become.  Who will love me for me?  Nobody has shown me what love really means.
I think all of us have been somewhere at some time in our lives where we were convinced that no one could love us, not even God.  That we had done something that God could not forgive.  That we had placed ourselves beyond the reach of God’s love.  The Good News is that this is not true.  There is no place beyond God’s reach.  There is no corner so dark that the light of God cannot shine there.  There is no sin that God can’t forgive.
By the by, the song has a joyful ending where God declares His love for each of us.  I will love you for you.  Not for what you have done or what you’ll become.  I will love you for you.
In this season of Lent, here’s something to think about.  If God didn’t love you, why did Jesus come to earth?  My prayer is for all of us to have a fruitful Lenten season where our relationship with God grows and deepens.  Where we recognize just how much God really loves us.
Source: Daily Reflection Calender.


What Love Really Means Artist: JJ Heller
Album: When I'm With You

He cries in the corner where nobody sees
He’s the kid with the story no one would believe
He prays every night, “Dear God won’t you please...
Could you send someone here who will love me?”

Who will love me for me
Not for what I have done or what I will become
Who will love me for me
‘Cause nobody has shown me what love
What love really means, what love really means

Her office is shrinking a little each day
She’s the woman whose husband has run away
She’ll go to the gym after working today
Maybe if she was thinner then he would’ve stayed
And she says…

Who’ll love me for me?
Not for what I have done or what I will become
Who will love me for me?
‘Cause nobody has shown me what love
What love really means, what love really means

He’s waiting to die as he sits all alone
He’s a man in a cell who regrets what he’s done
He utters a cry from the depths of his soul
“Oh Lord, forgive me, I want to go home”

Then he heard a voice somewhere deep inside
And it said, “I know you’ve murdered
And I know you’ve lied
And I have watched you suffer all of your life
And now that you’ll listen, I’ll tell you that I...”

I will love you for you
Not for what you have done or what you will become
I will love you for you

The Second Week of Lent ~ Tuesday

God in heaven and in my life,
guide me and protect me.
I so often believe I can save myself
and I always end in failure.
Lead me with your love away from harm
and guide me on the right path.
May your Spirit inspire the Church
and make us an instrument of your love
and guidance.
Thank you for your care for me.

No comments:

Post a Comment