Friday 1 April 2011

Lent Day Twenty One

Jessica Powers: Repairer of fences

I am alone in the dark, and I am thinking
what darkness would be mine if I could see
the ruin I wrought in every place I wandered
and if I could not be
aware of One who follows after me.
Whom do I love, O God, when I love Thee?
The great Undoer who has torn apart
the walls I built against a human heart,
the Mender who has sewn together the hedges
through which I broke when I went seeking ill,
the Love who follows and forgives me still.
Fumbler and fool that I am, with things around me
Of fragile make like souls, how I am blessed
To hear behind me footsteps of a Savior!
I sing to the east; I sing to the west:
God is my repairer of fences, turning my paths into rest.
(A Retreat with Jessica Powers: Loving a Passionate God, St. Anthony Messenger Press) Powers (1905-88) was a Carmelite nun and a poet in Wisconsin.

The Third Week of Lent ~ Friday

God of Mercy,
I feel my heart overflowing with your tenderness.
I sense your loving touch deep within my soul.
I ask for your help in my weakness
that I might be faithful to your word
and I am so grateful
that your mercy for my failings
is as strong as your unbounded love for me.

No comments:

Post a Comment